When you’re searching for the perfect sewing machine to suit your needs, you can run into a few problems… the biggest one being finding all of the information you need to make an informed decision.In this review of the Brother SE400 Sewing Machine I am going to give you all the information I can to help you decide if the Brother SE400 is the right machine for you.I will cover the general specs of the sewing machine, the features, a few things that I really liked about the machine, and even a couple of things that I did not like so much. For those who are completely new to sewing, below I have added little background on Brother as a company
Brother Sewing Machines: A Background
Brother International Corporations exists as a US branch of the Japanese based Brother Industries Ltd. They have existed since 1954 and since being founded have strived to serve the needs of both homes and offices. During their time serving the sewing community, they have been awarded ‘Consumer Digest Best Buy’ in 2013 and strive to remain a good company.Brother offers great warranties and has a minimum 25-year warranty for its products which seem to prove how committed they are to their customers. One unique thing about Brother is that they actually run a blog. The blog is called ‘Stitching Sewcial’ and covers DIY projects and personal stories. They also tend to share tips on all things sewing with anyone that happens to read their blog. As a company Brother genuinely does seem to care about their products and customers.
Brother Sewing Machine Review
The Brother SE400 Review
I’ve found that the Brother SE400 is an affordable sewing machine for those who like customizing their crafts but need to remain within a budget. It offers quite a few features, including an automatic threader which cuts down on time and simplifies the threading process and an automatic thread cutter which is great when you’re piecing something that you plan to cut down in size.
- Automatic Needle Threader: Yes
- Automatic Thread Cutter: Yes
- Built-in Stitches: 67
- Built-in Designs: 70
- Feed Dogs: 7 point feed dogs
- Weight: 10.9 pounds
- Dimensions: 30.3 x 15 x 15.2
My Favourite Features of The Brother SE400
- Automatic Needle Threader: This machine comes enabled with an automatic needle threader to help eliminate some of the hassles involved in sewing. Threading becomes easy and simple. This feature comes in handy pretty often, no matter the project no one wants to sit and struggle to thread their needle to work on their crafts, the automatic needle threader handles that for you so that you can work on your projects.
- Built-in tutorials: The Brother SE400 Sewing Machine comes with built-in tutorials on how to use it for both your embroidery functions and sewing. The tutorials can be found on the machines LCD touchscreen display. These can be especially helpful for anyone that isn’t sure how to use the machine for their needs or simply for a refresher course before you start a project.
- Built-in Customization: This model comes with plenty of customization features. There are 67 different stitches that include decorative stitches, quilting stitches, heirloom stitches, and utility stitches. When it comes to customizing your projects and crafts the number of personal touches you want to add are up to, this machine lets you decide how much or how little you’d like to use. Whether you are making a simple dress or sewing a costume, this machine can help you add just the right amount of details and personality.
- Built-In Designs: There are also 70 different built-in embroidery designs, 120 different combinations of frame patterns and 5 embroidery fonts. These can be great for any number of projects such as costumes or custom outfits. You can spell your name out just for fun or add your logo to team shirts and jackets.
- Design Editing Features: With this machine, you will also be able to do things such as rotating, mirror images, and increasing or decreasing your designs size. This allows you to add your own customization on just about anything that you decide to create. You can flip your designs to asymmetric designs with perfect precision or use the same design on different sized fabrics for matching shirts or even a cute matching outfit for your dog.
One of the best features of this machine is used when embroidering.Usually, if you want to do embroidery work you have to do some research to find the right pattern and then you have to go out and buy it, it’s a little tedious and time-consuming. After that, you still have to do all of the embroidery work by hand. The Brother SE400 sewing machine changes all of that.This computerized sewing machine, like some others, is capable of much more than an average sewing machine. It has built-in embroidery patterns for you to choose from and use. It enables you to not only choose a pattern but also complete your embroidery very quickly compared to the traditional way. The built-in patterns aren’t your only choices though.You can go to iBroidery.com and buy thousands more designs and patterns. These can all easily be download to the Brother SE400 sewing machine after you purchase them.The designs are affordable and adorable, not to mention that are exclusively for customers of Brother. Each design is bought on a pay-per-design basis.The selection of designs on the website is pretty extensive. You can find a design for anything from your Disney princess themed party to limited-edition designs that are spectacular. Choosing what design you want to go with may end up being your most time-consuming task.Remember that while this machine is an advanced one for pros, it is a pretty great option for beginners of embroidery. After you set it up, which shouldn’t take more than a few minutes, you can start your crafts.
Is The Brother SE400 Easy to Use?
The Brother SE400 is an easy machine to use, this goes for anyone from beginner to an expert. After you drop in your design and thread your needle you’re good to go. Once you are finished you can easily move on to your next project.Having an automatic needle threader makes it easy to start any projects and the automatic thread cutter makes it easy to perfect your craft. Add the variety of different stitches and embroidery options, which are great for personal projects, and you can handle all of your different sewing projects with ease.It’s relatively lightweight, making it easy to carry from one place to another for workshops or sewing groups.
The Brother Sewing Machine Warranty
The warranty period for this machine lasts 25 years from the purchase date and covers the machine. The warranty is 1 year for it’s included accessories. The warranty does not cover physical damage or any damage caused by other devices or software. To see more information about what is and isn’t covered please look at the Warranty.
Pros & Cons Of the Brother SE400
My Overall Thoughts of The Brother SE400 Sewing Machine
You get a large library that consists of 67 different stitches and 70 built-in embroidery designs. The LCD screen allows you to easily choose your options and go. That being said the screen isn’t the greatest resolution.Overall it is a lightweight and portable machine. It has enough features and abilities to make well worth the price. Its weight allows you to carry it to from one room to another or store it away in a high cupboard without feeling like you’ve had a work out.
The Brother SE400 sewing machine seems to be a good option for anyone, beginner or expert. It’s great for your home projects or for a workshop. Price wise it is a great value for the number of features and customization that you get. The machine is just upwards of $300.